Saturday, December 10, 2011

Like it or not, politics played role in AZ shooting

As soon as I heard the news about the shooting of an Arizona Congresswoman and many other innocent bystanders, I immediately thought about the editorial I wrote back in November, “Doom and Gloom on Conservative Talk Radio.”  It was only a matter of time before the enormous amount of negative political nonsense spewing from the mouths of certain people on the radio caught the attention of some nut job.  
Maybe this tragedy will put a halt to the negativity that has been floating around Washington, ironically since the election of 2008. I wonder, will this shooting force politicians to come together just like the weeks and months following 9-11?  Will they put on the fake face and act as if they really care about each other, to only start throwing blows again as soon as election season rolls around?
Some are going to say that the shooter is a lone wolf, an isolated individual, or claim that he had a psychological or mental problem (which is obvious if he would just start shooting at innocent people for no reason). Sadly, there are many other people out there just like him sitting around listening to talk radio all day and taking the figurative things they hear literally. 
I hope that one of these idiots doesn’t listen to Sean Hannity open his radio show on a daily basis with, “Stop the Obama, Pelosi, Reid Express,” and take it upon themselves to make his dumb catch phrase a reality. 
I hope they haven’t heard the Republican Senate Leader say, “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president,” and take it upon themselves to try and take the President out.
It’s all political fun and games until somebody gets hurt, or killed in this case.  It bothers me to no end that these conservative radio hosts purposely sit behind their microphones on a daily basis and stir up fear, incite hate for their fellow countrymen, and personally attack people that happen to disagree with their political opinions.
Will the tone and aggressiveness of radio talk show guy ease back a little bit because they can see that their words have a negative effect on weak minded people?  Probably not.  They will find a way to somehow blame the left, the President, or claim politics had nothing to do with this guy to going to a public place and shooting innocent people.
Sarah Palin and her little tea bagger buddies better be careful when they walk around with their anti-government signs and guns talking about the Constitution and taking the country back.  I still haven’t figured out what they are trying to take back and who they are trying to take it back from. 
Ironically, I didn’t hear any of this take the country backgarbage when the majority of the “American People” voted for a person that didn’t get elected in the 2000 Presidential election, which still bothers me to this day.
I’m still trying to figure out why the Electoral College exists and why the majority vote doesn’t determine presidential elections in this country, but I’ll save that for another time. If somebody can help me out, please do so.
Neither the left nor the right is going to take ownership of this idiot and both sides will probably point the finger at the other. I am ashamed that my voter registration card lists me as a Democrat, (which I will be changing as soon as I can) and I definitely won’t be registering as a republican either because they definitely aren’t concerned about me or anybody that looks like me.
To use the most overused word of the political season, I encourage every one of you to repudiate both parties.  Neither side has done much to fix the issues that normal people like you and I face on a daily basis.
I am simply one of those “American People” politicians keep referring to when they talk about the things we want, or should I say the things they want to do in our names that we are totally against.
If I were President Obama, or one of the House Democrats on Sarah Palin’s famous crosshairs poster, which was ironically taken off of her political action committee website, I would have my head on a swivel. They should be on the lookout for another one of these confused individuals sitting around listening to the doom and gloom on talk radio. You can find the poster here at http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/images/palin-crosshairs.jpg
Remember what I said about sizing everybody up when I’m out in public?  This shooting might help some people understand why I will continue to walk around with this attitude.  For those people who still only want to stereotype people of Arabic decent as terrorists, this guy doesn’t look like a Muslim or follower of Islam to me. I said terrorist because anybody that does harm to an elected official or any American is a terrorist to me.
My heart goes out to the victims and family members that were affected by the shootings. I truly hope that this incident brings people from all sides together, because the negativity surrounding politics has really gotten out of control.
Originally published by the Charlton County Herald on January 11, 2011 http://www.charltoncountyherald.com/articles/2011/01/12/opinion/editorials/doc4d2ccce0e960d469387954.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment